How to apply for Government Tenders
The Government of India has made it mandatory for all government tenders to be uploaded on the e-tender portal of India, The Central Public Procurement Portal. The e-portal is dynamic, active, and the best for searching and applying for all state and government tenders. Contractors can acquire specifications and submit bids against a tender via the portal. As compared to other private tenders, government tenders are secure against liabilities. Getting a government tender is not an easy task as it is complicated and must be submitted over time.
Applying for a Government tender
The basic steps followed to acquire government tenders are :
1. Registering under CPP Portal
The first step in applying for government tenders is that a contractor has to register himself on the e-tender portal with his personal and contact details. The details of the tender-receiving firm have to be filled up also. In the end, a valid Digital Signature certification must also be provided, which will include both the signature and encryption code that can be further used for validation.
2. Technical Criteria – This section asks for details about the technical status of the contractor’s firm which are :
a. Constructing/manufacturing capacity of the firm
b. Turnover of the firm
c. Certification documents of the firm
d. Surety of Quality control
e. Standing in the market
f. Machinery and equipment available at the firm’s end
g. Record of financial background
3. Financial Criteria – After analyzing the estimated cost of the contract, the contractor quotes a particular amount that would complete the project within the specified timeframe and set of resources available. This quoted amount has to be paid by the client if selected. Generally, the bid with the lowest quote gets the nod for a government tender, but sometimes where quality is of the essence, the above may not be true.
4. Some Miscellaneous Criteria – Other documents need to be submitted to verify the contractor’s authenticity and surety. These include bank solvency reports and registration certificates under various applicable laws and liabilities such as ESI, IncomeTax, SPF, service and goods tax, etc. A photocopy of this must be attached as other documents in the sealed bid.
The tenderer must also submit their previously allocated tender and work experience records. A non-refundable tender fee also has to be paid. All these documents should be carefully filled and submitted before the last submission date, or the authorities in charge could reject them.
Best Practices to apply for a Government tender
To secure a government tender, a contractor must have the proper experience and resources to accomplish the project’s objectives. One should be aware of the various tenders that the government is inviting. Some suggestions for acquiring government tenders can be :
1. The full information of the tender must be acquired as soon as possible before others. The sooner the details are received, the better, as more time can be used in preparation.
2. One is more likely to secure a tender due to his bids on previous government offerings.
3. The information required in the tender documents must be filled with utmost care. Work experience documents should be compiled correctly. Make a point to project your firm as the best-suited option and try to stand out from the rest.
4. Before submitting the tender, it is best to go through the terms and conditions for a better understanding of what the client’s needs are. Only if your service can fulfil the client’s needs is it better to apply or not.
5. Since it is a government tender, one should not try to bid at the lowest cost possible, which is likely to be selected. A complete cost analysis should be performed before quoting a price. Most government agencies evaluate tenders based on value for money rather than money itself. Therefore, a contractor with proper industry experience, maintenance and support, safety standards, and better warranty provisions will likely be considered.
6. Punctuality is one of the greatest practices for getting a government tender. The sooner you receive the information, the more time you will get to prepare it and respond at the earliest.
7. Never stay back in providing services as per the current market standards. You must make them believe you can provide the most relevant, advanced, and quality services.
8. Lastly, never try to jump steps in securing tenders. Go from small to big, and try to acquire small tenders at the beginning of your career to build a firm work experience. This will certainly boost your chances of securing a government tender.
Mobile-based applications are beneficial, given their ease of access from any remote location. Track, monitor, and manage your interior projects with Powerplay, a one-stop Cloud-based solution for all your construction management needs. Our customers are saving up to 7% on their overall project cost.
So, what are you waiting for? Power Up Your Construction with Powerplay today!!
Request a Demo to learn more.